Equity and Inclusion
The Equity and Inclusion Student Council is a committee of high school students working creatively to foster an environment which gives all students equal educational opportunities. Through policy work and mentorship, we are shaping the Morris School District to ensure representation of the multitude of cultures within it.
Find us on instagram @equityinclusionmhs
- Action - Holding teachers responsible to take action in face of racism, discrimination, or any behavior that deprives a student of their rights.
- Community - Fostering an environment where students & staff can freely embrace their culture/background and express any concerns (such as microaggressions) that target their culture/background,
- Education - Including the historical fight for equality in the curriculum & emphasizing how that has translated to the lack of equality in modern America which acknowledges the effects of racism.
The K-8 Outreach committee strives to help all students, in their earliest years of education, to gain fluency, confidence, and sensitivity when tackling prejudice.
Preparing resource libraries for parents and educators
Collaborating with FMS
**Disclaimer: All children photographed had parent permission slips signed so that their photos could be released**
The ELL (English Language Learner) Committee works on the experience of the bilingual and ELL population in Morristown.
Presentations to students and families on college applications, GPA, canvas and the grading system
- Testimony videos to feature stories of ELL students
- Increasing ELL participation in clubs and activities
- Buddy System: Students in exclusively English-speaking classes follow the schedule of an ELL student, creating bonds and dismantling separation between MHS students
The goal of the Curriculum Committee is to ensure that every student in the Morris School District feels represented by the texts they read in class and the lessons being taught.
- Student Educational Support Group
- Summer work revitalizing classes with more diverse texts
- Collaboration with English teachers to ensure an encouraging learning environment for all.
The Student Advisory Board is Equity and Inclusion’s initiative for a peer court that oversees cases of racial discrimination or race-related school code infractions at MHS. The Board will also serve as a safe-space for students to report and resolve any concerning incidents with peers or MHS staff.
- Restorative Circles
- Voluntary participants are welcomed into a non-hierarchical space meant to help work through and process conflicts between any two individuals.
- QPR Certification for staff
- Question, persuade, refer —> suicide prevention
- PGC leaders (senior orientation leaders for freshmen) frontline training
- Yearly Student Surveys
- Future projects: Correct how certain topics are addressed in health classes
As we are currently in the digital age, utilizing technology is integral in advancing our goals. Therefore, the tech & design committee will be responsible for all aspects of E&I requiring technological knowledge, mainly video editing!